2012 Le Mans 24 Hours Cycling: More than 2,000 runners on the Bugatti circuit for two clock towers.
The 4th edition of the Le Mans 24 Hours Cycling will be held next 25th and 26th August 2012 on the French Le Mans circuit. This event is opened to everyone by teams of 2, 4, 6 or 8 riders, but also to ultra cyclists as soloists. The start will be given at 3.00 pm to all riders from France and around twenty other countries.
Winner of the last two editions with 233 laps, covering 975km, the team Vulco will be present with three teams. The team Vulco also holds the fastest lap record, set last year at sunset, in 5 minutes 14 seconds at an average speed of 48km / h (29,8 miles).
Among the outsiders, the team of four runners Mondovélo, led by Samuel Plouhinec (French former pro), does not hide his ambition for this year. He confides us: “24 hours of riding on the Le Mans circuit, a new and exciting experience like riding at night and hope to take a lot of pleasure with my teammates.”
Cyclists engaged for the 2012 edition will have the pleasure to ride with a few personalities. The French track racer, Francois Pervis, unlucky not selected for the London Olympics, will race in a team of 4 riders. Last minute registered, Julien Guay, pro rider within the continental team Roubaix Lille Metropole, will be present with a team of 4 too. They will also be there: Laurent Brochard, Pascal Chanteur, Gilles Maignan, Christophe Agnolutto, Jacques Bossis and Thierry Marie,… many cyclists who have distinguished themselves on road during their career.
The circuit entrance will be free for visitors who will enjoy many activities in the Village: tastings, demonstrations, bike testing and live music band. Accesses along the track will be open to follow the race close to the runners.
The Matinale Decathlon, cycling ballad during one hour on the circuit, is open to all. More than 1,000 people are expected this year on the venue on Saturday morning.
24 Hours Cycling Race:
- 2012: 2087 riders – 1748 in 2011 – 1580 in 2010 – 1176 in 2009
- Teams registered for the 4th edition: 464 (71 soloists, 27 duos, 168 of 4, 153 of 6 and 45 of 8 riders)
- International teams: 59, a total of 15 foreign countries (United Kingdom, Switzerland, Belgium, Australia, Spain, Brasilia, Italia, Portugal, Germany, Turkey, Austria, Canada, Netherlands, Monaco and Japan)
- Women teams: 15, a total of 71 women
- Bugatti Circuit: 4185 meters – Uphill: 600 meters from 3,5 % to 7% – Downhill: 1000 meters on 2 %